Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Hardest Cards to Make . . .

. . . are always the sympathy cards. This one came together a bit easier as I knew the recipient was also a cardmaker--but only a little bit easier. And the only way I can think to tell anyone how to make a sympathy card is to make a 'hug' out of card supplies--something that will make the recipient feel loved.

This one is very simple. Since my card was going to be 4.25" x 5.5", I started with a dark wine cardstock that was just a touch (1/8 inch) smaller. I cut an oval paper doily in half, and attached it to the front, folding about 1/4" of the doily to the back.

The gold ribbon was added and taped to the back of the front panel before I attached it to the card base. I cheated to get my bow made--I tied a bit of perle cotton around the ribbon to cinch it in, and secured it to the card front with a glue dot. Then I attached my double-loop bow with glue dots--under the center and under each side of the loops. Finally, I twisted over the one trailing ribbon and secured it with glue dot.

I cut the shaped piece with a Nestabilities Labels Four die, and stamped it. then I used my Copic marker (R85) to just edge the outside of it. To add the antiquing, I rubbed on Deep Gold Metallic Rub-On Paste around the edges, highlighting the embossed edge of the panel. It is attached with dimensionals, and I threaded the tail of the ribbon behind it. There is a second panel on the inside with a sympathy message stamped on it.

I hope this helps give you ideas the next time you need to make a sympathy card--and may those times be few and far between.

Feel free to leave me a comment if you'd like--I'd love to hear from you!

Supplies: Cardstock--GeorgiaPacific (white), Prism (dark wine); ribbon--Wrights (DS Sparkle Satin Gold); Copic marker (R85); Nestabilities Labels Four dies; paper doily.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: